Tuesday, April 26, 2011

two posts in one day!!

Change is hard, especially when you encounter resistance from the people you expect to support you. I was reading a book called Do the Work by Seth Godin and I came across this:

"The problem with friends and family is that they know us as we are. They are invested in maintaining us as we are.
The last thing we want is to remain as we are."

Very close family ( I include friends here because if they are that close, they're family) is comforting. They know you and you know them. You know that when you go to IHOP with Uncle James he's going to order the pancakes with no butter and extra bacon; he knows you never make up your mind until the last minute. it's comforting and safe to stay in those routines, so when you tell him you know what you want as soon as you sit down, he'll give you an odd look. So when you decide to make a huge life change resistance is often encountered from the people we love most.

I want to spend a year working in Europe, and most everyone thinks I'm nuts. I'll lose my job, I won't have a home to come back to, what kind of person leaves everything, they'll miss me, Johnny won't even remember me...even worse, I want Danny to go with me. At least I have family who will mostly understand but I don't think his will. Everyday I feel like I need to change, I need to grow, I need to live my life to the fullest instead of slitting through from day to day....

disclaimer: I received this book for free through the domino project and bzzagent.

2 comments:

  1. Honestly I've thought about doing that a ton of times. Adventure is what life is supposed to be about. If you can make it work and Danny is willing to go I say why not? His family will get over it and your friends/family will be here when you get back :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand how you feel and I know you know that cuz of what I'm planning. I've kept it secret from everyone else because they are so negative and think I'm nuts or say that the only thing I'll accomplish by changing everything is ruining everything that "could've been". When I read this post.... I honestly had to think about whether I wrote it and what page I was on LOL It's an extremely tough thing to do, but if it's right for you, truly right within you, then NOT ever doing it is what will make things difficult. As for me, if I were to do what people tend to suggest and wait, save, plan, etc for a year or two... everything in me will feel like its dying up until that moment. I feel like our family, or at me at least, can accept and approve this "drastic" life altering experience because we've never been grounded or stable in our family life. So I understand why his family wouldn't be that positive about it since they are different in that way. But.... I just want you to know, no matter who else supports or tears you down, I will be there fighting for you and rooting for your "nuts" dreams and goals. Even if I'm far away, the support will be through spirit and email LOL I wish you were able to set things in motion to come with me but I know that I need my journey to be on my own at first. Maybe after I do it safely and my life proves to everyone to be THRIVING from it, then things will fall into place and you two can join me? :) We'll see. But for now, you should put on Defying Gravity and listen to the words as if you were saying them in regards to this subject. I love you sister :)

    ReplyDelete